Bachelor of Computer Science with Honours (Network Engineering)
Bachelor of Computer Science with Honours (Network Engineering) is an undergraduate degree programme offered by Faculty of Computing and Informatics at Kota Kinabalu campus. The programme aims to produce skilled graduates who are competent with strong computer science and networking fundamental and which will prepare them to compete in the job market. Student will be exposed and trained to the fundamental concepts and skills of computer science and majoring in system and computer network. Offered courses are range from a foundation of computer programming, system analysis and design, data communication, computer networks, distributed system, system management, network management and parallel computing. Beyond the technical skills, several soft skills including interpersonal communication skills, team skills, and management skills are embedded in the appropriate discipline. The students will be exposed with range of applications that connect theory and skills learned in the class to real-world occurrences through the industrial training and demonstration of completing a project during their final year.
Graduates specialised in Network Engineering programme has the opportunity to work as network administrator, computer network architect, network support engineer, telecommunications specialist, system engineer & analyst, system and mobile application developer and etc.
- Unite theory (Knowledge) with practice (Practical Skills), be prepared and motivated to engage in lifelong learning (Information management and lifelong learning skills), and have a solid foundation in mathematics and science.
- Be productive practitioners skilled in applying engineering process and practice to software components and systems (Thinking and scientific skills).
- Be proficient in oral and written communication (Communication skills), able to demonstrate leadership skills in developing software (Leadership Skills) and actively demonstrate teamwork, professional and ethical responsibility (Social Skills, Teamwork and Responsibilities).
- Have a broad perspective on computing and Network Engineering, allowing them to demonstrate entrepreneurship and managerial skills in Network Engineering (Management and Entrepreneurship).
Programme Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relating to Network Engineering (Knowledge).
- Apply appropriate methodologies, models and techniques that provide a basis for analysis, design, deployment, management, operation, troubleshooting, documentation and maintenance of a large computer networks system (Practical skills).
- Demonstrate teamwork, responsibilities, interpersonal and social skills (Social skills and responsibilities).
- Gain an understanding the concept of ethics, professionalism and humanities (Ethics, professionalism and humanities).
- Communicate effectively with peers, clients, superiors, and society at large and demonstrate leadership skills in the deployment, management, operation and maintenance of computer networks (Communication, leadership and team skills).
- Utilize relevant techniques and demonstrate analytical and critical thinking skills in modelling network infrastructure, designing network architecture, monitoring network performance and applying the technologies and protocols of the next generation networks. (Scientific methods, critical thinking and problem solving skills).
- Apply skills and principles of lifelong learning in academic and career development (Lifelong learning and information management).
- Establish entrepreneurial skills and supervise the deployment, management, operation and maintenance of computer networks (Entrepreneurship and managerial skills).