Endangered Marine Species (UEMS) Research Unit is a research unit under the Borneo Marine Research Institute (BMRI), Universiti Malaysia Sabah, which carries out research works on diverse range of endangered marine species such as the Whale Shark, Humphead Wrasse and Marine Mammals.
- To conduct research on the biology and ecology of the endangered species;
- To conduct feasibility studies fo re-populating the natural stocks of Humphead Wrasse;
- To establish an endangered marine species database on occurances, beach stranding, and other causes of mortality in Sabah;
- To establish national and international linkages for research and conservation of endangered species;
- To provide and disseminate information and research findings through educational and community awareness programs, highlighting the economic and ecological services of a healthy marine species population.