- How do I become a member of the UMS Library?
- How many books I can borrow at any one time?
- What is the penalty for late return of Library items?
- What action is taken by the Library if loaned books are lost or damaged?
- How do I reserve books that are on loan by other users?
- When should I collect a Reserved Item?
- How should I do online extension/ renewal of book loan?
- How do I access online database from outside campus?
- Can I use Inter Library Loan (ILL) services?
- Do I need to pay for Inter Library Loan services?
- How do I apply for Document Delivery Services (DDS) and Inter Library Loan (ILL)? When do I receive the requested items?
- Can I borrow and return books to UMS branch libraries?
- How should I use cubical room facilities?
- Where can reservations be made for Discussion Rooms / Seminar Rooms?
- Where can I access to UMS WiFi?
- Who should I consult regarding problems with WiFi services?
- Can I utilise libraries in other Higher Learning Institutions in Malaysia?
- I am looking for samples of past examination papers and thesis. Which collection should I refer to?
- What is the difference between General Collection and Reference Collection?
- Where can I find newspaper articles?
- How do I suggest for certain books to be purchased by the Library?
- Who should I refer to for assistance in information search?
- What is Information Literacy?
UMS students/ UMS Academic staff
UMS students / lecturers are automatically members of the Library based on specific categories of membership
- Submit completed Membership Registration Form together with two passport size photographs.
- Enclose letter of endorsement / support by Chief Librarian / Head of Department.
- Pay Registration Fee and Membership Fee.
For more information, please contact the Membership Unit at extension 2219.
Loan eligibility is based on membership category.
|Membership Categories||General Collection||Serial Collection|
|Special Collection||Red Spot Collection|
30 books / 90 days
2 items *3 days
5 items **2 hours
2 items / 3 days
2 books / 2 days
|Professional Management Staff|
25 books / 90 days
10 books / 30 days
|5 items ** 2 hours||1 items / 3 days|
1 books / 2 days
20 books / 30 days
10 books / 14 days
1 books 2 hours/ overnight
5 books / 14 days
|1 books 2 days / overnight|
30 days (based on loan entitlement)
2 items / 2 days
* Bound **Latest
|General Collection||1 day||20 cents|
|4 weeks||Book’s price + RM50.00|
|Multimedia Collection||1 day||50 cents|
|4 weeks||Item's price + RM50.00|
|Red Spot Collection||1 hour||50 cents|
|2 weeks||Book’s price + RM50.00|
|Journal/Magazine||1 day||50 cents|
|The following 1 hour||RM1.00|
|1 Week||Journal’s price + RM50.00|
|Research collection(Thesis)||1 hour||50 cents|
- Users pay penalty of 3 times the current price of item plus RM50.00 processing fee, or
- Replace with same item plus RM50.00 processing fee.
Reservations can be made at the Circulation Counter by completing the form provided.
- Limited to materials which are on loan to other users.
- Limited to a one-time reservation per item.
Reservations can also be made online through Web VIRTUA
Users are advised to liase with the Circulation Counter to check whether Reserved Items have been returned. Reserved Items will be kept for a maximum of 7 days.
- Log on to http://webvirtua.ums.edu.my
- Enter ID and password.
- Click Renew on Action column.
- Click the Renew button found under the list of items borrowed.
Users can login to Off Campus Access service using the official email issued by UMS to every registered student. For further details, please contact our Reference Desk ext: 2325 (office hours) or 2240 (after office hours).
All registered users can use the Inter Library Loan (ILL) service. Application for ILL can be made via the following methods:
- ILL application form: Form is available at the Reference Services on the Ground Floor of the Library and also on the Library website under the Download section.
- Email completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org or send directly to the Document Delivery Unit (ext: 2308) located on the Ground Floor during office hours.
This service is free for Higher Learning Institutions Libraries. If there are costs involved, users will be notified beforehand.
- Application of DDS and ILL can be applied if the item needed is not in the library's collection. Users are advised to apply earlier.
- Inter Library Loan’s material can be obtained within 2 to 4 weeks depending on the status and location of the materials. Document Delivery Service will be submitted directly to the user’s email after we received the document.
Yes, users can borrow and return books from UMS’s library branches.
Reservations can be made at the Circulation Counter (Ground Floor), Counter Service Periodicals (1st floor, Right) and Counter Aseana + 3 (2nd floor).
User can make a reservation at Circulation Counter services (Ground floor) and Serials Counter Services (1st floor). Time of use is 2 hours only.
WiFi is accessible at all locations on campus.
Department of Information Technology and Communication.
Yes. Registered UMS Library members can utilise libraries in other public HEIs in Malaysia. Users would have to complete a form for this purpose and UMS would then provide a supporting letter which is required at the host Library in other public HEIs.
The General Collection consists of books in various fields that can be taken out by users. The Reference Collection refers to materials such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, indexes, abstracts, directories, almanacs and bibliographies for reference purposes only and cannot be taken out of the Library.
For newspaper articles, please inquire at the Serials Service Counter located on the 2nd Floor.
The proposed book titles can be submitted to lecturers for approval by the respective Deans.
- Alberto Aning (UMS-KK)
088 - 320000 Ext. 2654
- Dayang Ruhidah Raplee (UMS-KAL)
- Mohd Tajuddin Atin (Medical Library)
To expose users to effective information search skills. Training schedule is as follows:
Basic Library Reference Materials
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
Should any user require additional training, please proceed to the Reference & Information Counter for further details.