Penerbit UMS, which is the Publication Unit of Universiti Malaysia Sabah, was established on March 1, 2001. The Head of Publication Unit reports directly to the Vice-Chancellor of UMS.
Sourcing and selection of manuscripts for publication are managed by a committee chaired by the Vice-Chancellor and composed of deans, directors and heads of units. In addition, each school, institute, center and unit have a permanent representative in the committee.
Penerbit UMS has been given the responsibility to control the quality of publication of all manuscripts approved for publication by the Publication Committee of UMS.
To be a leader in excellent and innovative scholarly publication at international standards
As the main university channel to publish quality scholarly works in disseminating knowledge and research output of UMS.
To be UMS imprint centre that guarantees the quality of its publications.
To develop and expand the scholarly publications of UMS academics in Sabah, Malaysia and globally.
To implement scholarly publication (printed and electronic) programmes in the forms of monographs, books and journals relevant to the field of knowledge developed by UMS.
To implement marketing and promotional programmes for UMS publications through conventional and electronic channels.
To build information network to coordinate and monitor the publication activities of other public universities to avoid overlapping of titles, and as well as wastages of experts, time and limited publication funds.
To foster cooperation and coordination in scholarly publication among public university presses, research centres, MAPIM, MKBKM, MABOPA, MBSA, MBIA (Booktrade Malaysia), AAUP and others.
To foster cooperation and professional relationship with global scholarly publication organizations such as UNESCO, Library of Congress and others.
We pledge to realize our vision and mission as well as best practices based on the following charter:
- To provide efficient and quality services in the aspects of publication to students, lecturers and general public.
- To publish quality scholarly books that meet the teaching and learning in the period of one (1) year to one (1) year and six (6) months.
- To publish high-impact journal articles in accordance to the current scholarly publication requirements.
- To market the product of UMS publications as wide as possible using the latest technology platform.
- To conduct courses, workshops, training and any other activities related to publication for the purpose of exposure to lecturers in particular.
Sourcing of Manuscript Policy
Penerbit UMS accepts manuscripts in Malay and English. In addition, manuscripts in other languages, covering the fields of study offered by UMS are also considered.
Distribution of Publication
Like other publishers, Penerbit UMS conducts its marketing, distribute and promote activities. Any inquiries from companies interested in promoting, distributing and marketing of UMS publication are widely welcomed.