Tuberculosis Research Unit ( TBRU)
Tuberculosis Research Unit, Univeristy Malaysia Sabah was established on 23 July 2012. The primary purpose of this is to carry out Tuberculosis research and provides Health Services ( Clinics and laboratories) to reduce TB incidence rates , Drug resistant cases and number of TB deaths in Sabah.
Tuberculosis Research Unit, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences University Malaysia Sabah (UMS) is determined to be an excellent and outstanding unit to carry out tuberculosis research projects and health services by implementing the updated WHO End TB Strategies in community of Sabah.
Tuberculosis Research Unit UMS Medical Faculty and Health Sciences is committed to excellence in providing Tuberculosis research projects, infrastructure and health services to the community of Sabah in line with newly adopted Sustainable Development Goal , SDG to reduce the number of TB deaths by 90% and cut new cases by 80% and to ensure no family burdened with catastrophic costs due to TB by 2030.
- To achieve Stop TB partnership WHO Goal: Sustainability through adequate financing, leadership and support to meet the Global Plan to End TB 2016-2020: the Paradigm Shift.
- To implement the End TB strategy by doing research in early diagnosis of TB including universal drug-susceptibility testing, and systematic screening of contacts and high-risk groups.( 2016-2035)
- To create new global/ regional network to support expansion of MDR-TB services and care in Sabah by collaboration with MOH and other institutions.
- To provide TB services including MDR-TB in resource limited and remote areas through establishment of CTC by "Zero TB World (ZTBW)" South Korea organization in health facilities in poor areas.
- To introduce new diagnostic method – Digital CXR, Molecular, genomic, GeneXpert etc. for early diagnosis of TB.
- To increase accessibility to TB control and prevention service by providing appropriate methods of health education to the community in rural as well as in urban setting in Sabah.
- To upgrade computerized surveillance (improvement of DOTS component) and strengthen, monitoring and evaluation system.
- To improve capacity-building of infrastructure and systems by international collaborative trans-disciplinary research projects and networks.