Data Protection Notice
The Personal Data Protection Act, 2010 (“Act”) regulates the processing of personal data in commercial transactions. The Act requires Universiti Malaysia Sabah (“UMS”) to inform you about personal data that is collected from you and processed by UMS.
The terms “personal data”, “processing”, “commercial transactions” and “relevant person” used in this Data Protection Notice (“Notice”) shall have the meaning prescribed in the Act. For the purposes of this Notice, the expression “we” or “us” shall refer to UMS, whilst, the expression “you” or “your” shall refer and include the student, potential student, former student, client, customers, potential customers, vendors, suppliers, service providers and/or relevant person such as parent/guardian of our student, potential student or former student, directors, employees of corporate customers, vendors, suppliers, service providers and authorized representatives receiving, obtaining services from or providing services to the UMS.
We process your personal data including personal data of any relevant person. This Notice shall apply to the relevant person and you warrant to the UMS that you have the authority or have been authorized to act and give consent on behalf of the third party, to the provision of personal data of the third party to UMS for the purposes and disclosure as stated in this Notice and you undertake to extend a copy of this Notice to the third party. The provision of this Notice shall be deemed as notice given to and consent obtained from the third party.
Types of Personal Data and Sources of Personal Data
The personal data voluntarily provided by you, your parents, guardians, recruitment agents, your employer, your company, your sponsor, at events organized or participated by the University and/or obtained independently by us from other lawful sources (if any such as from public depositories, trade/online directories, credit reporting agencies, public domain and other authorized third parties) in our forms, agreements, website, and/or other similar documents may include information concerning your name, address (such as correspondence and permanent address), phone numbers (such as handphone, home and office phone numbers), facsimile numbers, email address, identity card number, passport number, specimen signature, age, date of birth, gender, race, nationality, country of permanent residence, company name, occupation, salary, job position, credit card number, credit history, religious belief, medical conditions and details, criminal conviction information, sponsoring body details, referee information (such as name of referee, job position, address, contact number and email address), previous examination results, transcripts, academic qualifications, academic records, bank details (such as name of bank, bank’s address and bank account number), images (including photographs) information in audio and/or video format, closed-circuit television (“CCTV”) and security recording and all data(s) you included therein your application to UMS in form of resume and/or job application and/or industrial attachment and/or in obtainment of service(s) for/from UMS (collectively “Personal Data”). By voluntarily providing us your Personal Data, you are giving consent for us to collect, use and process your Personal Data.
You hereby confirm that the Personal Data given by you or obtained from you, your parents, guardians, recruitment agents, your employer, your company and sponsor is sufficient, accurate, complete and not misleading and that such Personal Data is necessary for us to provide our services to you and to establish a commercial transaction. If you choose not to provide such Personal Data or if such Personal Data is insufficient, inaccurate, incomplete and/or misleading, the University may not be able to provide you with the services you require or the required level of service.
Purposes of Collecting Personal Data
Depending on your relationship with us (e.g. as an applicant, student, alumnus, staff, donor, vendor, service provider, or other person relating to our organisation), we will process Personal Data in connection with any commercial transactions for any of the following purposes:-
- Evaluating suitability for admission or employment, enrolling or employing, providing educational courses and training, including sending materials on course/study/ assignment/lecture materials, information on time tables and examination details via postal mail, electronic mail, SMS or MMS, fax and/or voice calls;
- Administering and/or managing relationships with UMS (including responding to enquiries, the mailing of correspondence, statements or notices which could involve the disclosure of certain personal data to bring about delivery of the same);
- Carrying out due diligence or other screening activities (including background checks) in accordance with legal or regulatory obligations or risk management procedures that may be required by law or put in place by UMS, including the obtaining of references and/or other information from prior educational institutions and employers;
- Processing application(s) for scholarships and/or financial aid, and research support, and administering and managing scholarship/financial aid/grant and other support programmes, which may include use of personal data for development and fund raising activities and disclosure of personal data to donors, grantors, external evaluators and/or external organisations for purposes of periodic reports, event invitations, surveys and/or publicity of UMS’ related programmes;
- Investigating possible fraud, misconduct, unlawful action or omission, and utilizing electronic access and video systems to maintain campus security of persons or property, control access and investigate suspicious or inappropriate activities;
- Responding to requests for information from government or public agencies, ministries, statutory boards or other similar authorities or non-government agencies authorised to carry out specific Government services or duties;
- Carrying out market-related, evaluative or similar research and analysis for UMS’ operational strategy and policy planning purposes, including providing data to external parties for university programme evaluation and to students’ former academic institutions and to partner institutions for jointly-administered programmes;
- Outreach and engagement to garner support and resources for UMS, its community and affiliated institutions;
- Supporting UMS functions including, but not restricted to, the teaching and personal and professional development of students, research and administration of UMS;
- Processing and administering applications for overseas exchange programmes, summer school, overseas internships and other overseas activities and administering such programmes including disclosure of information to overseas universities, employing and training organisations;
- Processing, administering and conferring awards of prizes, medals, scholarships, classes of honours and other marks of distinction, and student or graduation status, and publication or releasing of information on the same;
- Engaging alumni including but not limited to notification on UMS and alumni-related initiatives and activities, invitation to UMS and alumni-related events, updating of alumni information, invitation to participate in alumni surveys and sending of communication collaterals;
- Processing applications and enrolment activities related to health, life and travel insurance and service provision as well as university-related concession cards, and campus accommodation and administering matters related to use of these services;
- Processing applications for and administering local and overseas career related activities, events, programmes, internships, employment opportunities, and career coaching, and sharing information with companies (whether local or overseas) for purposes of recruitment, internship , industrial attachment, job placement and research support;
- Facilitating participation in student life and alumni development opportunities which may include social, cultural, athletic, and educational activities, events, volunteering and training programmes, student membership and leadership positions in clubs, societies, halls and residences, and orientation/reception activities;
- Any other purposes which UMS may inform you of in writing from time to time, but for which UMS will seek your separate consent.
- to facilitate commercial transactions with you and fulfill contractual obligations to you in the preparation of any relevant agreements (if any) and for maintaining our own accounts and records in the ordinary course of our business;
- to facilitate commercial transactions with you and fulfill contractual obligations to you including but without limitation to assess your application/request for our services, to process your application for admission and to provide continuous academic, educational, student, facilities services, to provide ancillary services such as visa application and insurance coverage, maintaining our own accounts and records in the ordinary course of our business;
- to verify your identity, responding to requests, updating your records, processing of tuition and other relevant payment and invoices, receipts, collecting debts, provide other requested goods and services in the ordinary course of our business;
- to facilitate special requirements such as those relating to any disability or medical condition;
- to communicate with you via SMS, phone call, email, fax, mail and/or any other appropriate communication channels;
- to communicate with parents, guardians and authorized representatives in the event of emergency or accident;
- to inform parents, guardians, employers, companies, sponsors and authorized representatives about the progress of the student and potential student application for admission, student’s academic and educational progress, all relevant activities including your convocation and not limited to UMS activities in discharging its functions’ as provided by UMS Constitution and the Universities and University Colleges Act (‘UCCA’) 1971 student’s tuition fees and other relevant payments;
- to notify you of and provide you with information about our products, goods, facilities, services, upcoming events that you request via SMS, phone call, email, fax, mail and/or any other appropriate communication channels unless you have otherwise notified us that you do not wish for us to process your Personal Data for such purpose at the address stated below in this Notice;
- to provide you with our newsletters, periodicals, contests and/or surveys via SMS, phone call, email, fax, mail and/or any other appropriate communication channels unless you have otherwise notified us that you do not wish for us to process your Personal Data for such purpose at the address stated below in this Notice;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness in the ordinary course of our business;
- to conduct marketing survey and analysis of student educational patterns;
- public disclosure and use of your Personal Data, images, photographs, voice and video recording for publicity purposes without payment or compensation;
- for internal investigations, audit or security purposes;
- the use of CCTV systems for crime prevention;
- to enforce contractual and legal rights and obligations; and
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
Disclosure of Personal Data (Within and/or Outside Malaysia)
In order to deliver the services you require, you hereby consent and authorize us to disclose your Personal Data to the following parties (within and/or outside Malaysia):-
- our employees, consultants, accountants, auditors, lawyers, advisers, agents, contractors, vendors, co-marketing partner, service providers, insurance companies, merchants and/or financial institutions to provide support and services;
- The Ministry of Education and/or Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysian Qualifications Agency, other relevant government departments/agencies, statutory authorities and subsidiaries of Ministry of Education;
- UMS Investment Holdings Sdn. Bhd., Yayasan Universiti Malaysia Sabah (YUMS), dan Koperasi UMS Berhad (KoUMS);
- UMS Kota Kinabalu Main Campus and Brach Campus(es) UMS;
- academic institutions;
- foreign embassies and agencies appointed by the foreign embassies;
- Malaysian Immigration Department;
- your sponsors including parents and/or guardians;
- companies providing placement, internship, attachment and employment opportunities;
- professional bodies, accreditation bodies or statutory regulatory bodies;
- your immediate family members and/or emergency contact person as may be notified to the University from time to time;
- where required by law, legal processes, queries from the relevant authorities and/or matters relating to the life and death, security or property of an individual or the security or property of the University;
- the general public by publishing your images, photographs, voice and video recording for publicity purposes without payment or compensation.
Right to Access and/or Correct Personal Data
You have the right to:-
- check whether we hold your Personal Data and request access to the same;
- correct any Personal Data that is inaccurate, incomplete and outdated;
- withdraw in full or in part your consent subject to any contractual conditions and legal restrictions;
- communicate to us your objection to the use of your Personal Data for marketing purposes.
If you would like to request for access to or correction of your Personal Data or limit the processing of your Personal Data, make any inquiries or complaints, you may contact:
UMS Data Protection Officer
Universiti Malaysia Sabah
Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu
You are to put your request in writing for security reasons and verification purposes. In accordance with the Act, we will charge prescribed processing fee for all Personal Data access request made by you.
In the event we refuse to adhere to your request for access and/or correction to your Personal Data we will inform you of our reason for the refusal.
Changes to Personal Data
We will ensure your Personal Data is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Therefore, we request that if there are changes to your Personal Data you should notify us directly at the contact details set out above.
Modification of the Notice
We may review and update this Notice from time to time to reflect changes in the Act. The latest version of the Notice will be made available upon your request at the above address or available at www.ums.edu.my. By continuing receiving, obtaining services from or providing services to the University following the modifications or changes to this Notice shall signify your acceptance to such modifications or changes.
In the event of any inconsistency between the English version and the Bahasa Malaysia version of this Notice, the English version shall prevail over the Bahasa Malaysia version.