Head of Department
Prof. Dr. Syed Azizi Wafa Syed Khalid Wafa
Assalamualaikum wbt and greetings,
The university’s administration began emphasizing on scholarly publication with the establishment of the Publication Unit in 2001. Starting with a limited number of staff and facilities Publication Unit is strengthening its organization and particularly publication. We strive to continuously improve our performance and develop the university publications so as to stand on par with the other university publishers, locally and globally. Let us work together to strengthen university scholarly publication in our way to achieve the status of research university.
Penerbit UMS, which is the Publication Unit of Universiti Malaysia Sabah, was established on March 1, 2001. The Head of Publication Unit reports directly to the Vice-Chancellor of UMS.
Sourcing and selection of manuscripts for publication are managed by a committee chaired by the Vice-Chancellor and composed of deans, directors and heads of units. In addition, each school, institute, center and unit have a permanent representative in the committee.
Penerbit UMS has been given the responsibility to control the quality of publication of all manuscripts approved for publication by the Publication Committee of UMS.
To build and develop knowledge and skills towards Universiti Malaysia Sabah’s excellence at the global level.
- To be UMS imprints centre that guarantees its publication qualities
- To develop and expand UMS academia’s scholarly publication at local and global levels.
- To carry out scholarly publications programmes (printed and electronic) in the form of monographs, books and journals.
- To market, distribute and promote UMS publications through conventional distribution methods and electronic channels.
- To develop an information network among the public universities to coordinate and monitor the universitiy activities to avoid duplication of titles and waste of limited experts, time and funds.
- To foster cooperation and coordination in scholarly publication among university’s publishers, research centers, MAPIM, MKBK, MABOPA, MBSA, MBIA (Booktrade Malaysia), AAUP, and so forth.
- To foster cooperation and professional relationships with universal scholarly publishers and organizations such as the AAUP UNESCO, Library of Congress and so forth.
Sourcing of Manuscript Policy
Publication Unit accepts manuscripts in Malay and English. In addition, manuscripts in other languages, covering the fields of study offered by UMS are also considered.
Distribution of Publication
Like other publishers, Publication Unit conducts its marketing, distribute and promote activities. Any inquiries from companies interested in promoting, distributing and marketing of UMS publication are widely welcomed.
Publication Unit, Ground Floor, Library Building, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88000, Kota Kinabalu
+6088-320000 ext 1462(Admin) / 1015 (Editorial) / 1304 (Marketing) +6088-320446