To realise its mission, UMS strives to achieve nine objectives:
- To set standards of academic excellence in various chosen disciplines, such as science, technology, engineering, business, economics, politics and the social sciences, and to receive international recognition for these achievements.
- To explore and apply the disciplines effectively in order to enhance social and national development.
- To uphold academic autonomy and to maintain intellectual excellence in the university community.
- To produce specialised and yet balanced, assertive, open-minded, God-fearing and patriotic graduates.
- To organise teaching and research programmes of the highest quality and relevance for the benefit of society and the nation
- To enhance ties between universities, industries, professional bodies, social organizations and the government.
- To nurture universal humanistic values and open-mindedness coupled with a sense of service and dedication among academics, scholars, officials and auxiliary staff at the university to ensure optimum productivity.
- To contribute towards the dynamic socio-economic development of the nation.
- To foster pride and prestige in the university as a premier progressive institution.