"EcoCampus Tourism is a learning experience for visitors, and its concept revolves around the 3 Keywords of UMS: Innovative, Relevant, and Sustainable."
~ YBhg. Prof. Datuk Dr. Mohd. Harun Abdullah,
(September 27th, 2014)
There are five EcoCampus Tourism Packages founded on the concepts of Nature Tourism and Green Tourism are available. Nature Tourism is defined as ‘responsible travel to natural areas or related venues with the objectives of seeing, admiring, enjoying and learning about the environment and its flora and fauna, as well as any local culture (past and present) found in the areas without causing perilous disturbances and destruction, for environmental conservation and the well-being of local people’. Green Tourism is defined as ‘responsible travel to natural areas or related venues with minimal climate impacts through efficient and sustainable utilization of energy and water, minimized production of wastes, recycling, and promotion of environmentally friendly products for the conservation of natural resources, reduction of operating cost, and enhancement of tourist satisfaction’.
The five packages are:
- "Gallery & Museum Tour" - Vivid interpretation of the varied successes of UMS in research and innovation, and sustainable development of the local community in Sabah;
- "Nature Delight Tour&" - Splendid showcase of the marvels of forested hill, lake, wetland, plants, and animals within the convenience of the campus;
- "Architecture Heritage Tour&" - Display of glorious architectural structures founded on local values and global virtues as a heritage for future generations;
- "Sunset Tour&" - Mesmerizing sunset panorama and serenity at UMS to reflect on the grace of life;
- "Nature Education Tour&" - Overnight learning excursion on Bornean biodiversity and conservation for school goers, and interested adults from all walks of life.
Visitors taking up the packages will also contribute directly to carbon credit via carbon footprint reduction measures relating to transportation throughout the campus. Indeed, UMS EcoCampus Tourism is another innovative way to transform UMS into a sustainable university that is recognized internationally as underlined by the Vision of the EcoCampus Management Centre.