JIC RULES AND REGULATION
PREPARATORY CENTRE FOR SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
UNIVERSITI MALAYSIA SABAH
JUNIOR INNOVATOR COMPETITION
- Junior Innovator Competition is open to lower form (1-3) secondary school students in Sabah, Sarawak dan F. T. of Labuan. Entrants must be between 11 to 15 years of age at the time of the production of the poster submitted to PPST.
- There is no fee required to enter this competition.
- Participants MUST enter the competition as a TEAM (maximum three (3) students). Only minimal roles of any adults (over the age of 17) involved in the making of the poster (e.g. educators, teachers, instructors, etc.) is allowed (group coordination, technical support, etc.).
- Each of the schools may have multiple teams representing the school, however one team is allowed to submit only one participation.
- All entrants must submit an A1 size poster.
- Plan an invention related to the topics in environmental sustainability.
- You may use existing invention. However, you are encouraged to re-design or re-create and present them with your own creativity.
- Failure to present a poster during the presentation day, “Karnival STEM Asasi Sains UMS,” will result in forfeit marks.
- Poster format:
- Contents: Project Title, Abstract, Introduction, Problem, Objectives, Method & Materials, Significant of Project, Advantages & Disadvantages, References.
- All graphics must be in high resolution.
- Poster may not contain vulgarity, violence, defamatory language or any other subject deemed by the organizer to be inappropriate for the tone of the competition.
- Please use the given poster template: Template for poster
- All submissions must be received by 11.59 p.m. on Monday, 24th February 2020. Pusat Persediaan Sains dan Teknologi (PPST) will not be responsible for late or unsuccessful attempts to submit. Only completed entries will be assessed and given a participation certificate.
- To submit, all entrants are required to produce a A1 poster size, and fill up the submission form.
- Please be aware that by participating in the competition, the entry submitted will be regarded as the ownership of PPST inclusive of any intellectual properties herewith. The makers of the poster will continue to own the rights of their posters, but when they submit the poster to the Junior Innovator Competition, they agree that PPST has unlimited use of the poster in all formats and platforms. PPST reserves the right to show any submitted posters a limitless, noncommercial, number of times in whatever format they deem fit in order to further the educational aims of PPST.
- Only FIVE (5) potential finalists, as determined by the judges, will be notified to the contact number provided latest on 6th March 2020.
- The FIVE (5) finalists will be invited to give their presentation during “Karnival STEM Asasi Sains UMS” on 25th March 2020 at 2 p.m. in PPST (UMS). The team must be accompanied by at least 1 teacher.
- A panel of judges selected by PPST will judge the finalists and select a Grand Prize Winner based on the following criteria:
- 40% Practicality of the idea (in the sense of being scientifically possible)
- 30% Effectiveness and clarity of communication and mode of presentation
- 20% Originality and creativity of the idea proposed in the poster
- 10% Questions and Answer session
- Only 1 table, 2 chairs and poster board will be provided.
- Other technical gadgets (e.g. power extension) are at your own responsibility.
- Mode of communication during the evaluation must be in English Language.
- Model is highly encouraged to be brought during presentation.
- Model may not be working/functioning.
- Strict safety measures must be exercised during the use of hazardous, flammable and poisonous materials. The teacher is responsible in ensuring that the model brought by the students is safe and that competition rules are adhered to.
- The five finalists will receive a certificate of participation.The First, Second and Third place winners will each receive a cash as below:
Rm500 and certificates
RM300 and certificates
RM200 and certificates
24th February 2020 - Due date of the submission
6th March 2020 - Finalists will be announced
25th March 2020 - JUNIOR INNOVATOR COMPETITION, Karnival STEM Asasi Sains UMS
For more details, please contact :
Cik Hazwani (013-554 1121)
En. Rafley (012-841 6800)
Preparatory Centre for Science and Technology,
Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400,
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
088-320000 (Ext: 613601, 613604)