YSSC RULES AND REGULATION
PREPARATORY CENTRE FOR SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
UNIVERSITI MALAYSIA SABAH
YOUNG SCIENTIST SCI-SHOW COMPETITION
- The Young Scientist Sci-Show Competition is open to ALL upper secondary school students in Sabah, Sarawak and F. T. of Labuan.
- All students must submit a video recording of their presentation of a Science experiment. The length of the video should not exceed ten (10) minutes, including the ten (10) seconds title screen. Students are encouraged to explore an innovative way of presenting an experiment as long as it relates to the topics covered in Biology, Physics, or Chemistry syllabuses. You may find certain chapters have already outlined the experiments related to the topics, but you are encouraged to re-design those experiments or create new ones based on the topics you have learned and present them with your own creativity. The element of environmental friendly is highly encouraged to be included in your science project.
- Entrants may create any type, style or genre of video desired upon presenting the experiment. Drama, animated, comedy, family, vacation, spoof, and documentary styles are all accepted. Each of the schools may have multiple teams representing the school, however each team is only allowed to submit one video.
- To submit, sign in to Youtube and upload your video contest entry. If you do not have a Youtube account, you will be required to create one. All entries should begin with a ten (10) second full-screen “title screen” that includes the following information:
- Title of video :
- Link of Video:
- Name of participants and mentor/advisor:
- School name:
- Contact number:
You may find an instruction video on how to digitally submit your entry on this video
- There is no fee required to enter this competition.
- You MUST enter the contest as a team of AT LEAST THREE (3) students (maximum five (5) students). Entrants to this competition must be between 15 to 19 years of age at the time of the production of the video submitted to PPST. Only minimal roles of adults involved in the making of the video (e.g. educators, teachers, instructors, etc.) is acceptable (group coordination, technical support, renting equipment, etcs).
-All videos should be uploaded in Youtube by setting them to private mode. The links of these videos need to be shared with us at firstname.lastname@example.org for them to be judged.
-All entries must be scripted or submitted in English. It is compulsory to include English subtitles in the video.
-All videos must be ten (10) minutes maximum running time, including title and end credits.
- The format of the video that will be submitted must be in High-Definition (HD). No video may contain vulgarity, violence, defamatory language or any other subject deemed by the organizer to be inappropriate for the tone of the competition.
- Strict safety measures must be exercised during the use of hazardous, flammable and poisonous materials. The school is responsible in ensuring that the Science show performed by the students is safe and that competition rules are adhered to.
- All submissions must be received by 11.59 p.m on Monday, February 24th 2020. PPST will not responsible for late or unsuccessful attempts to enter. Only complete entries will be assessed and given a participation certificate.
- Please be aware that by participating in the competition, the entry submitted will be regarded as the ownership of PPST inclusive of any intellectual properties herewith. The makers of the video will continue to own the rights of their videos, but when they submit the video to the Young Sci-Show Competition they agree that PPST has unlimited use of the video in all formats and platforms. PPST reserves the right to show any submitted videos a limitless, noncommercial, number of times in whatever format they deem fit in order to further the educational aims of PPST.
- Only five teams of finalists, as determined by the judges, will be notified by the contact number provided on or about March 6th, 2020.
- The five teams of finalists MUST give their presentation during “Karnival STEM Asasi Sains UMS” on March 25st, 2020 at 2pm in PPST (UMS). Failure to present the video during the carnival will result in disqualification and forfeiture of the competition.
- A panel of judges selected by PPST will judge the finalists and select a Grand Prize Winner based on the following criteria:
- 40% Originality and creativity of the idea proposed in the video
- 30% Practicality of the idea (in the sense of being scientifically possible)
- 20% Effectiveness and clarity of communication and mode of presentation
- 10% Question and Answer session
- The five finalists will receive a certificate of participation.The First, Second and Third place winners will each receive a cash as below:
Rm1000 and certificates
RM500 and certificates
RM300 and certificates
24th February 2020 - Due date of the submission
6th March 2020 - Finalists will be announce
25th March 2020 - Young Scientist Sci-Show Competition, Karnival STEM Asasi Sains UMS
For more details, please contact :
Mdm Huzaikha (011-1222 3389)
Dr. Sitty Nur Syafa (016-2111770)
Mdm Johannah (016-804 4567)
Preparatory Centre for Science and Technology,
Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400,
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
088-320000 (Ext: 613601, 613604)