MALAYSIA QUALIFICATION REGISTER
What is the relationship between accredited programmes and registration in the Malaysian Qualifications Register (MQR)?
According to the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) Act 2007, all programmes accredited by MQA will be registered in the MQR.
All programmes offered by Private Higher Education Institutions which has been accredited by MQA (or previously by National Accreditation Board (NAB)) will be registered in the MQR. For Public Higher Education Institutions, programmes already recognised by the Public Service Department or professional bodies will be listed in the MQR.
The following are the advantages :
- The programme is quality assured and is in line with standards and criteria as well as in compliance with the Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF). Please refer to the information on Quality Assurance System on the MQA website
- facilitate the credit transfer process
- enable students to further their studies in local or foreign institutions
- enable graduates to be eligible for employment in the civil service
- facilitate students to obtain study loans
The information can be found by logging on to the MQR portal. There are a few ways to find the required information.
Please refer to the directions below:
- Log on to the MQA website at www.mqa.gov.my --> click on the MQR button on the On-Line Applications menu.
- Log on to www.mqa.gov.my/mqr/ and then refer to the Guide bar on the MQR portal.
All qualifications listed in the MQR have gone through the quality assurance process either by MQA or a recognised body.
Under the Lembaga Akreditasi Negara Act 1996, all accredited programmes (except for professional programmes) have a validity period of five years. The validity period of professional programmes will be determined by the respective professional bodies. A higher education provider must apply for renewal of the accreditation six months before the expiry date. On the other hand, programmes accredited under the MQA Act 2007 will not have an expiry date. The date which the accreditation was granted will be stated in the MQR. If the accreditation is revoked, the date of the revocation will be entered into the MQR.
There are a few possibilities :
- the programme is no longer offered by the higher education provider
- the higher education provider did not apply for the renewal of the accreditation for some reason
- The renewal process is yet to be completed
It means that the programme is not yet accredited or not accredited at all. This may be because :
- The programme has just started and is not yet due for accreditation by MQA. The assessment will be conducted when the first cohort of the students are in their final year.
- Registration in the MQR is voluntary and institutions are free to make that choice.
There is a different between accreditation and recognition. All qualifications in MQR are basically accredited by MQA. The recognition by Public Service Department (PSD) or professional bodies lies under their jurisdiction. However, MQA has collaborated closely with PSD and other professional bodies. Basically the programmes accredited will be recognized by them. In this case, you are advised to refer the respective agencies for verification.
In general, all programmes accredited by MQA will be listed in the MQR. The local institutions will apply to MQA for accreditation, followed by registration in the MQR. This includes programmes offered by local institutions in collaboration with foreign institutions and programmes offered by foreign university branch campuses.
For further information, please contact us at :
Quality Assurance Coordination and Reference Division
Malaysian Qualifications Agency
Level 14B, Menara PKNS-PJ
No 17, Jalan Yong Shook Lin
46050 Petaling Jaya
Tel: +603-7968 7002
Fax: +603-7954 0225
There a few ways to find out whether a qualification is listed in the MQR. Stakeholders can log on to www.mqa.gov.my/mqr and search by category or use the Search bar by typing in keywords such as name of the qualification, name of the higher education institution, field of the qualification and etc.